13 March 2010

Ce qui est "Lantern Hill"?




Jane of Lantern Hill is one of the many novels written by Lucy Maud Montgomery, one of Canada's foremost authors, and was published in 1937. The concept of home is an integral part of Montgomery novels, ask any feminist lit-crit grad student. I shan't bore you with the examples I could trot out from the Anne series, Emily trilogy, or the Pat books, although I cannot promise you that snippets of them will not appear in future posts.

But I chose a quote from Jane of Lantern Hill to grace the blog's home page because it best exemplifies the essence of my own house-seeking: the need for magic. Or, as Jane later summarizes for her father, "You want to feel the house is yours before you buy it."

Yes, yes, I understand the need for a solid foundation, copper pipes, new roof, energy-efficient heating and cooling systems, etc. Very prosy, but necessary, prose. But I will not be satisfied with merely that. (And luckily for me, neither will my partner. I rejoice in his similar need for magic.) I want poetry. I need poetry. And my house, when I find it, will have it in abundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment