19 June 2010

Gorgeous.



Lush and red two months later than they have any right to be, these peonies were found by moi at the farmers market earlier this morning. I had gone expressly to find red flowers; I secretly was hoping for poppies. But then I spied these peonies, and I scolded myself for have ever wanting anything else.

The seller and her granddaughter proffered all sorts of wild and lovely flowers at their stand. A buyer smilingly asked the granddaughter if she were selling any fairies that morning. And a gentleman buyer, who evidently knew the family, asked of the child, "Why are you still you? Why haven't you changed into something else?" She had laughed at both.

But I won over the grandmother, asking for the red peonies. She smiled at me, a real smile, not a for-the-customer mechanism, and said the red ones were her favorite, too.

So now they reside upon our table.



I had feared putting my black-painted table and chairs in the very yellow dining room. Would they look like a giant bumblebee, and would Belle therefore refuse to ever sit and eat with us? But when I got the furniture all in, the combination reminded me of a French bistro, so that's what I'm going for with the blue-and-cream ticking and linen napkins.



I shan't use white bistro ware, but continue with my peacocks. I want to keep this slightly unexpected.

8 comments:

  1. nicole,
    your new house looks lovely! thanks for sharing your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, has O'Suz ever looked at carrying textile art by tamar mogendorff? Her work is intricate and amazing. (First saw a sampling in Petite Bebe, but then Melissa found everything else online; the breadth of her work is ka-pow!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jade depression glass accents would look *so* amazing in this room - it would add so nicely to your color scheme too! Love the blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Nicole! You have done an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this room and look forward to lovely lunches, delightful dinners, and bodacious breakfasts here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 22, 2010

    What a beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Oh! I love the bistro theme. Its absolutely perfect. Can you come decorate my home (if/when we ever have a real home)? You have such a good eye for these things (which we all know I fail miserably at). Can't wait to come see it for realz.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJune 22, 2010

    Thanks for sharing your lovely blog with me. I love peonies too!!!

    ReplyDelete